Friday, July 04, 2008

rafting for my thesis



Some of you may know what a thesis is, some of you may even know what I wrote my thesis on for my Masters degree, but for those of you who don't, I have a cool story for you.


So, obviously I love the outdoors...you guys already know that, so what better topic to write my thesis on than the outdoors. The chair of my committee (the lead professor that makes sure I do everything right) turns out not to be a big outdoor enthusiast, but she rocks at her job, so I wanted her anyway. Remember her from the previous post?


Through talking with her about my thesis, I discover that she has had some experience with "wilderness activities"...Motel 6. Now, you know what I am dealing with. By the end of my program I am resigned to accept that my chair may never appreciate the outdoors like I do an I am at peace with that, then at my defense, she drops the bomb shell......


After reading my thesis (and a little healthy competition from her little sister), she wants to go white water rafting. Needless to say I am thrilled, I think I deserve to pass my defense just because of this transformation.

So, about three weeks later I get the honor of taking my chair on her first rafting adventure ever! Now the actual rafting trip was a bit rocky, but after all was said and done, she told me she had a great time and "let's try rock climbing next."


I'll keep you posted on how that one goes...

peace,

Crys

No comments: