Sunday, June 14, 2009

gilem aka "camels"


We had the wonderful experience of riding camels to the beach and back. It was a very touristy thing to do, but so worth it. Here is the crew at the beach with the camel entourage.


Scotty's camel was smiling. but some of the camels were a little grumpy about getting up and going. They had interesting methods of keeping tabs on the camels, most of them had a "leash" going through their nose. They were quick to respond when someone tugged on the leash. You can kind of see the green leash going throug the camel's nose here.

The seats for the camels were super old looking, but surprizingly comfortable. We walked and trotted with the camels.

A little video for those of you who want to live vicariously.

3 comments:

Papa Chuck said...

Wow, this is really fun looking. Someone just asked me today if there are lots of camels in Senegal and I said that I didn't see any. I guess I didn't look so very far.

We love and miss you a bunch!

Hope your bday was super!

Love, Dad

Chris and Sarah said...

I love it!
I got to ride a camel in Mauritania, and got super attached to it, then we went to a camel slaughter house and got the shock & awe treatment there, then we were served camel meat in a tasty wrap for lunch. An odd day!

Senegal Daily said...

Asalam malecum!

We are absolutely loving your blog. I'm so glad Djiby connected us. I just tried calling the cell number he sent us, but no answer and no VM. Could you please let him know that I tried and will try again soon?

We're planning a trip to Senegal in February to start getting our ducks in a row for moving back there in 2011. How much longer will you guys be there? Let us know if you ever have a layover in France!