Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Dread wax au' Senegalese

So, I ran out of dread wax and my hair is in DIRE need of conditioning, so I asked Modoo what he uses for his dreads and he bought me some karite (aka shea butter). It is raw so had to be "processed" for use and being a toubob I had no clue how to do this...
...enter Djibi. This guy is a mad man, he can do anything, case in point he taught me how to process my karite for my hair.

First you take the hunk of karite, or shea butter, that you got from the market for 500 cfa ($1USD) and melt it. This is really important because it STINKS. It's better if you do this in your outdoor kitchen (because Oregon is full of these, right?).
You want to heat it until all the bubbles disapear, like the little brown spot in the middle of the pan.
Once it's all clear, you pour it into a heat safe container. Note: old pickle jars and the such don't work for this. However and old instant coffee can, such as Nescafe, works great (Fiona, that's for you). Then you let it sit, or put it in the fridge if you are in a hurry and you have soft and creamy shea butter.


4 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Good to know in case I ever grow out this buzz cut.

Hi to Djiby!

Fiona said...

When Andando had our store in Corvallis, we sold this very stuff.(Already cooked)

More Dorrs said...

Cool processing some nice and weird stuff!!!

Jd

Fiona said...

Hey Guys....just caught up on the blog....fun stuff...I was just thinking it will be weird for you guys to come home and adjust to life back in the USA. Coming up soon eh! I don't know when really we will be in Bend...probably middle of August. You should totally come and join us somewhere though...we still be out there. See ya soon...