Friday, December 12, 2008

farmers market...of sorts.

So everyday is Farmer's Market day in Malika. I went to the market to get some vegies for din-din and I came back with these. Market experience in Africa is SO SO different than Saturday mornings in Corvallis on the waterfront.

First on my walk to the market, which is about a 1/2 block from Herma's we had to walk around a dead sheep laying on the sidewalk. It looks like it had been about half butchered. (I thought about posting a picture, but then desided better of it). The Senegalese just celebrated Tabaski, which is a big holiday where every family buys a sheep and has a feast with it. Why this particular sheep didn't get eaten I don't know, but it made for an interesting start to the market-going-experience.

Then, once we got to the market (we, being Djibi and myself) I discovered that everyone was still celebrating Tabaski because the market was EMPTY.

Despite this I was pleased to come home with enough vegies to make two dinners, all of which cost me 250cfa or$0.50 USD. Pretty cool.

Oh, and the weird looking flower vegetable at the top of the photo is white bissap. It tastes like spicy/sour spinach. Lots of vitamins and really adds flavor to rice. And the pickle looking thing is just a cucumber.

Maybe next time I will take my camera so you guys can appreciate the full experience.

Lots of love!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay.....so many new experiences. I love it. Thanks for keeping us posted!

The Drakes said...

merry christmas season! that flower-like vegetable looks funny. thanks for calling - the message cut out a little, but if we could fly to africa right now we would! thanks for the invitation :) i would like to repeat how great you both look in that pre-church picture! -- j